Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Oral Presentation

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank my fellow research group mates, Wee Siong and Sau Yeen. Both of them being very helpful and provided me with many ideas and advices regarding the oral presentation. During our rehearsal, I was not feeling well and cannot come up with good ideas to present my part. Fortunately, my fellow group mates had assisted me, giving me precious guidance. Before the oral presentation, I was very nervous as this was the first time where I was required to perform an assessed oral presentation. I was so panic and my mind had gone totally blank during the presentation. All the points that I had memorize the night before was forgotten. I forgot to have eye contact with the audiences and I did not “blank” the slides which was an act that I was supposed to do in our presentation. At some point of the presentation, I was struggling to find the correct word to say and convey my main message to the. I was very disappointed with my overall performance and I think that I can perform much better if I able to control my emotion well. I will learn from this experience.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Cher

    I could see that you were nervous during the presentation initially. I suppose that is normal given that this is your first time experiencing an assessed presentation. You would probably be more comfortable after giving more presentations. Nevertheless, I felt that the part where you intereacted with the audience by asking them to close their eyes was good. It might have helped you relax a little too as you seemed less nervous after the exercise. All the best!

    Cheers
    Duane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cher,

    Your nervousness was quite evident during the presentation, but I believe it took courage to finish the presentation and present your part to the best of your ability. Don't feel too bad about the presentation, it can be an important learning point for you.

    More practices before the presentation and rehearsing in front of the mirror would go a long way in preparing you for a presentation. Furthermore, using simple English is definitely alright in any presentation. Firstly, it is easy for the audience to understand. Secondly, it is easy for you, the presenter, to deliver. It would be easier for you to deliver your points if you choose to use simple English, and need not wrack your brain for the "sophisticated" vocabulary.

    I agree with Duane that you well get better after a few presentations. Practice makes perfect!

    All the best for your future presentations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Duane,
    Thanks you for the comments!I will have serious stage fright (pounding heart, tremor in the hands and legs) whenever required to perform in front of the audience.I really admire that you guys able to present your points clearly and confidently.I do feel more comfortable after the section of experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daniel,
    Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement.I agree with you that i should use simple English when deliver a presentation, as i really wreck my head as to think of a more sophisticated vocabulary for my presentation. I will definitely try out your unique way "rehearsing in front of the mirror" on my next presentation.

    ReplyDelete