Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Final Reflection (Post #7)

As time flies, we have come to the last post for this module. After reading through my first post, which was written three months ago, my understanding of the value of effective communications skills certainly had changed. Initially, I used to think that an effective communicator is someone who can fully express themselves to others and at the same time understands by them. On the other hand, I never thought of an effective communicator should also be an active listener. Through this module, I have learnt that communication is always a two way process.

Personally, I think that blogging exercise do help us in forming interaction and bonding among us. If we were only attending classes, I am not sure that I would ever have any chance to learn so much about my fellow classmates. Through each post, I have a chance to share my point of view with them and at the same time get to know them better.

Next, report writing skill was another useful skill that I have learnt from this module. It was not easy to propose, conduct survey, analyze data and write a report in three weeks time. From setting objective and hypothesis to writing conclusion and interpretation, as well as following the APA format of citing references for the report, this project taught us everything in order to produce a piece of professional writing. Through the effective group communication and teamwork, the three of us were able to make it!

Furthermore, the process of learning how to write excellent resume and cover letter prepared me for my future job searching upon graduation. The peer review section where we went through each other’s resume and job application letter was very effective as I had the opportunity to see how well others had wrote and also received many valuable inputs on how to improve my resume and job application letter. Nevertheless, the mock interview was also very helpful as it exposed me on what type of questions I should be expecting when I go for the real interview.

Through this module, I have learnt a great deal about interpersonal skills, resolving conflicts and practiced active listening. I am now more aware of non-verbal gestures when talking to other people and learning on how to tackle awkward situations caused by interpersonal and cultural differences both at home and at school.

Overall, ES2007S was a very useful, fun, interesting and fruitful experience as I was exposed to various way of communication. I would like to take this opportunity to thank my fellow Malaysian partners who encourage me to take this module together. I am very glad to have Brad as our tutor for this module. He has been very helpful and approachable for consultation especially when my project group was encountering some difficulties with the research study.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Cher,

    First of all, thanks a lot for all your hard work especially during our group projects. Really appreciate all your efforts and patience during this 12 weeks. Great job, friend! And I am very sure that you would put all the skills gained from this module to good use. Thanks again and all the best, my Batu Pahat friend. :)

    ws

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cher,

    It was fun working with you for the mock interviews. As you said, the peer review session for the cover letter and resume was a fine chance for us to receive feedback. I appreciate the inputs from you and Ayu and hope that I have played a part in helping you improve your resume and cover letter. It was also good discussing career options with you. I hope that you will be successful in your job search. Be positive always and nothing will go wrong.

    Cheers
    Duane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wee Siong,
    Thanks for your comments!It is my pleasure to be able to work with you under this module. I have learnt a great deal from you through the writing of research report as well as the oral presentation. I must say that you are indeed a good leader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Duane,
    Thanks for your comments! I really appreciate your help during the peer review section of the resume and cover letter. You gave me many useful advices and suggestions.I have gained lots of experiences through the interaction with you during the peer review and mock interview sections really . All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cher,

    It's my pleasure to work with you as your blogging buddy and one of your partners in Eco Warriors. I have learned a lot from you and I am amazed by how dedicated you are for your effort to attend the presentation rehearsal despite having serious stomach ache.Thanks for all your contribution to the group assignment. Have a nice study break!!!

    Cheers,
    SY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sau Yeen,
    Thanks for your comments! I am so glad to have a friend like you, who always being so helpful and caring.All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cher,

    I agree with you that the short time frame set for us to complete the survey research truly test the level of effective communciation within the project group :)

    Through our classroom and blog interactions, I feel humbled to meet someone with so many talents and a happy-go-lucky nature.

    All the best in your examinations!

    P.S: thanks for all the valuable tips on what to do/go in USA. Might be "stalking" you on facebook to ask for more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Cher, for this heartfelt and detailed final post. I'm glad that you found the course not just relevant but helpful.It was also a good chance for all of us to get to know more about one another and to support each other on this "communication journey." It was especially interesting to me to hear about your experiences, both in Ohio and elsewhere. That's what I love about living in the global village:
    you can get to know my homeland, and I yours, and then we can discuss!

    In any case, best of luck with your continuing studies. Maybe we can meet up sometime again, either here in Singapore or in Malaysia!

    ReplyDelete