Sunday, March 15, 2009

Speak Their Language #Post 5

In general, people who speak a variety of languages are regarded as great communicators as they are able to break down language barriers. As they have ‘the gift of the gab’, they are never shut out from a relationship. To learn a language is the beginning of a road in learning the country, the culture and the people.

It is a general custom to learn some useful foreign language phrases and expressions when we are going on a trip to a foreign country especially when English is not the common language. This is particularly helpful when dining out at a restaurant, asking for directions and even on a shopping trip. From my past experiences, if you are shopping in Kuala Lumpur’s Chinatown and you happened to be a non-Cantonese speaker (which is apparently the local dialect of Kuala Lumpur), then most likely you be regarded as a foreigner and will be charged double the actual price. Thus, speaking their language may save you from these undesirable troubles.

I would also like to share with you some of my experiences where I fully utilize my ability to speak several languages.

It all started two years ago when I was staying in Prince George Park Residences. One afternoon, while I was washing my dishes in my cluster kitchen, a Malay cleaner came and began to clean the kitchen. To break the ice, I thought she might like to be greeted in her own mother tongue; I greeted her with relatively simple Malay. We began with self- introduction and some tips on living in Singapore. Then, I excused myself as my phone rang. When I was back, my previous unwashed dishes, to my surprised were all done. She did not begrudge the trouble of helping me with the dishes, which I am grateful to her. Since that day, we became close friends and often talked about our families back in Malaysia.

Besides that, I wish to explain another incident which happened last December during my trip to Penang Island, Malaysia. On our second day, we visited Penang Hill which is the highest point in Penang Island. As we were waiting for the train, I observed a Caucasian couple who were in theirs fifties were talking to each other in French. I greeted them with "Bonjour, comment allez vous aujourd’hui?", which means “Good day, how are you today?”. They expressed their surprised to meet someone who can speak fluent French in Malaysia and not even a French. We continue our conversations about places in Malaysia and they felt like they were back at home..

Lastly, all the appreciation and benefits that I gained when I speak their language are the main forces for me to learn up a new foreign language. I cannot forget their astonished faces when I greeted them in their native language and dialect.

12 comments:

  1. Hey Cher,

    I feel that the loveliest thing you can do is to talk to someone in their native language, it really makes their day. I had similar experiences with the Malay aunties as I could converse with them in simple Malay, they were so surprised! And also knowing more languages is always an advantage, because you can always know when someone is trying to talk bad about you in another language!

    I have been trying to fix my dialects too! It is really a wonderful thing to be able to converse fluently in it!

    Shihui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aiyoh! Cher! First, I learn that you spent time in Ohio. Now I learn that you're fluent in French! (C'est tres bon!)

    This is really an excellent post, one in which you illustrate with fine examples the power of language. And this is also why I like having students blog so much. If we were only "meeting" in class, I'm not sure that I would ever have an chance to learn so much about you. Step by step, post by post, I'm finding out that you really are an amazing young lady.

    By the way, where and when did you study French?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cher,

    How many languages can you speak in total? I'm so envious of your language abilities!

    Indeed, language does create a strong bond among those who use it. There is a limit to how much you can achieve with hand gestures. I personally would sigh with relief if I meet someone who speaks the same language as me in a foreign country. It's certainly the fastest way to make new friends.

    By the way, I vaguely recall somewhere that learning French is an uphill task unless you know how to roll your "Rs" properly. Is that true? Or what was the most difficult aspect you faced when learning French?

    evelia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shihui,
    Thanks for your comments! Those Malay aunties must be very happy to meet a kind like you. I agree that knowing more languages is always an advantage because you can always know when someone is trying to talk bad about you in another language. Moreover, if you and your friend know a same language that is not commonly used,then, gossiping and sharing secrets are possible even in the public. Thats what Sau Yeen and i always do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cher,

    It's an another interesting post from you. After reading your post, we certainly can't underestimate the power of language. The ability to speak in another person's language is actually an invisible bridge to form strong bonds between the 2 parties. I believe that people are able to connect with us better and somehow feel closer to us if we are able to converse with him/her in a language which he/she is comfortable/ familiar with. Besides that, we are likely to gain favour from the other person if we can speak in their mother tongue. Thanks again for this wonderful post. Hope to hear more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gossip buddy,
    Why do you want to expose our favourite hobby ? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonjour Monsieur Blackstone,

    Salut! Ca va? Merci beaucoup pour les commentaire. So, you understand French as well right?

    I agree with you that blogging indeed provide a chance for us to learn more about each other. But most of all, adopting effective writing. Now, i begin to enjoy and love blogging which i thought as a hassle at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Evelia,

    I can speak Mandarin, Malay, English, French, Vietnamese and few dialects like Cantonese, Teochew and Hokkien. I agree with you that there is a limit to how much you can achieve with hand gestures especially when you want to be fully understand by others.

    To me, French is the most beautiful language. Regarding the Rs,R is actually pronounce as H. For example, romantic(romantique) is pronounce as homantic.Interesting right? The most difficult aspect i faced when learning French is that all verbs need to be conjugated in French. e.g. the verb for the plural and singular of 1st, 2nd, 3rd person is different. So, you have to remember 6 different form of words for a single verb. It is time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sau Yeen,
    Firstly, thanks for your comments.I am glad that you agree people somehow feel closer to us if we can converse with them in their language. Moreover, greeting people in their native dialect also show your respect to their culture and language.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear gossip buddy,
    I didn't expose our favourite hobby but only sharing opinion with others. Good things are meant to share! Wahhahaha.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello cher!

    I gave up learning french after six months when i was thirteen. I was a a pretty bad student at that time.

    I felt that it was initiative of you to approach that Malay lady using her own native language. That's what intercultural communication is really about. That is to show understanding and willingness to communicate from the other side's point of view. Speaking in someone's native language, I feel, also prevents us from taking on an ethnocentric view, as we are brought upon to understand their views through communicating via their language.

    I would love to learn french again, and maybe you can be my private tutor:P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Yuka,

    Thanks for your comments. It's my pleasure to be your private tutor! Whoa.... I starts to have student now...

    ReplyDelete