Sunday, March 1, 2009

Evaluating Intercultural Behavior #4 Post

For this week’s post, I would like to share with you some of my experiences about intercultural behavior. During last summer, I joined an oversea exchange program called Work & Travel in USA. In this program, we were allowed to take on challenges of working abroad, experience new lifestyles and have the opportunity to travel in USA at the end of the program.

I decided to work as a food host in Cedar Point Amusement Park, Sandusky, Ohio as I love cooking and enjoy unlimited rides of roller coaster. For three months, I was placed in a cafeteria which sold Mexican food. I was in charged of preparing Macho Nachos, a famous local food that basically looks like a nachos salad bowl. It consisted of nachos chips, minced beef, lettuce, cheese, onion, tomato, black olive, jalapeno (hot pepper) and served with salsa and sour cream. Our food was prepared with fresh ingredients and customer was allowed to make special order that suited his/hers needs. I would prepare the food when customers placed their orders at the cashier

An event occurred during my third day of working in that cafeteria. A little boy ordered a Macho Nachos with jalapeno on the side. As that was my first day working on my own without any assistance from my other colleagues, I carefully spread every ingredient on the top of the nachos chips as told by my colleague at the cashier. Then, I placed some jalapenos exactly on the right side corner. To my surprise, my colleague who came and collected the order questioned me why was there jalapenos on the Macho Nachos. With a righteous voice, I explained to her that I did place the jalapenos on the side according to her order. She laughed loudly and explained to me that when an order required a specific ingredient on the side, it meant that particular ingredient should be placed in a small plastic container and handed to customer separately. I was so embarrassed about my ignorance and thankful that she had corrected me so that I would not repeat the same mistake.

This event actually enlightens me that different field of culture require different interpretation of words. We should be more alert and cautious to prevent any unwanted misunderstanding and embarrassment.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Cher,

    Thanks for another nice post from you. I must say I was drooling when I read your blog on how you made the Macho Nachos. I hope you can make one for me next time.:Đ

    After reading your post, I realized that culture does not only reflected by the language we speak, the non-verbal language we use, the clothes we wear, the lifestyle we live but also the way the food is served. Different cultures have different ways to prepare a meal and serve it. It's okay to experience some culture shocks at times. The most important thing is that we learn from experience and be more sensitive to the differences of various cultures especially when we are traveling to a land which is foreign to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello cher

    Yes i agree with sauyeen that your description of the making of the nachos is indeed making me hungry. It must be really lovely to work in a funfair isn't it?

    For the misunderstanding, I guess it is true that different places have got different ways of conversing, and for your case of being a "newbie" there, it is definitely understandable. There was this video of the American Idol where the rejected contestent told the judges to "watch out" before he left, and Paula Abdul mistook it as a threat. In the end they had to clarify that this particular state's "watchout" meant for them (the judges) to take care! It doesnt contain any hint of intimidation at all. Oh well, as long as you learn from mistakes=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sau Yeen & Shi Wei,
    Thanks for all the comments! If i have a chance i will try to make a Macho Nachos for you gals. I do agree with both of you that we should learn from our mistakes. I did have a great time working in the theme park, meeting people from all around the world and getting to know their culture and lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You worked in Sandusky, Ohio, eh, Cher? And only now you tell me? That is so close to my hometown! I was actually at Cedar Point just 2 years ago for my daughter Billie's 11th birthday!

    And like Sauyeen and Shi Wei, your mention of the nachos makes me very hungry since you describe the food and the place so accurately. I also appreciate your analysis of the the linguistic/cross cultural confusion of the phrase "on the side."

    Thanks for this! (You've also inspired me to have nachos at our "extra class" here later in the term! Will you help me and Karen my wife prepare it?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brad,
    Thanks for your comment. Sure, is my pleasure to help out. I miss all the food back in Cedar Point like Turkey Leg, Elephant Ear, Giant Corn Dog, Frozen Custard and Icee. You must have the same feeling as well right? I start drooling now.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey cher:)

    I haven't tried real nachos before. Maybe you can teach me how to make a good one!

    Your experience is a good example that shows that the English language is spoken in different ways in many English-speaking countries even though we all know our A-Zs. You were not wrong to have taken the "jalapeno on the side" order literally because you were not familiar with the locals' way of speaking at that point of time.

    This also illustrates that knowing a language is not solely about knowing all the vocabulary and the grammar. Getting familiar with the culture of that country, and connecting the language with its country's cultural values is crucial in establishing the most effective communication with the locals of that country.

    I think this goes for the same with the Westerners, who may have experienced some difficulties in understanding the English spoken by most of us in Singapore. Maybe Brad can relate to this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Yuka,
    I agree with you that knowing a language is not solely about knowing all the vocabulary and the grammar.An exactly same phrase may has different meaning in different countries. In Malaysia, my friends and i always speak a mixture of language. Just in a single line, we may use up to three languages. e.g.今天 I betul tired lah, which means today i really tired.

    ReplyDelete